Ask Bob – January 2023

Bob Pierce headshot

Bob Pierce answers questions about energy efficiency, consumer products, and cooperative governance. He is Clearwater Power’s Chief Operating Officer and welcomes your questions on our Ask Bob page.

Q: Our meter is on our neighbor’s home. It was once all one piece of property. Now we own the back half. Does Clearwater Power relocate it onto our property?

A: If it is now two separate properties, then you will want two meters so you get two separate power bills. Your electrician can install a new meter base in a location of your choosing, and then Clearwater Power can extend the power line to the meter base and install a new meter.

Graphic of 2 houses with an electrical meter and a question mark in between themTo find out how much this will cost and what will be involved, you need to schedule for a CPC field engineer to meet with you on site.

There is a $100 engineering fee—the engineer will come out to your property, discuss your various options and give you estimated costs for each one. This could include overhead versus underground or different routes to the new meter.

Once you select an option, Clearwater Power will give you a written quote that is good for 90 days. If you decide to go ahead with the job, you will need to secure signed easements from any neighbors whose property the new powerline will be built across.

When the paperwork is done, you only need to pay for the job. Our line foreman in your area will work with you to schedule your job for construction.